music player database

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 5 01:55:47 PDT 2009

Christophe Fergeau [2009-07-03 20:08 +0200]:
> Depends :-/ See sony-k750i_mobile_phone.mpi :
> Product=K750i mobile phone
> Vendor=Sony Ericsson
>
> and sony-ericsson_k810i.mpi:
> Product=Sony Ericsson K810i
> Vendor=Sony Ericsson
>
> These names are not really helpful for multi-productid files, see for
> example sony-e075_e076_e089.mpi which corresponds to 3 product IDs and
> has :
> Product=Sony Ericsson K850i, W910i, W580i
> Vendor=Sony Ericsson

Ah, thanks for spotting this. Indeed I agree with David that it might
be better to entirely split them for each individual player.

Also, I already covered this case for file name creation:

    # a lot of product names start with vendor name
    if m.startswith(v):
        m = m[len(v):]

Seems we should use the same a few lines up to drop the vendor name
prefix from model names as well.

> I'm a bit worried that having 3 places where to specify icons/names
> for media players will confuse users and even some developers so maybe
> we shouldn't have names/icons in the mpi files?

I don't think we should hardcode icon names in .mpi files. It'll cry
for trouble for different themes, KDE vs. GNOME, etc. Either
gvfs/solid should figure them out from the available data themselves,
or .mpi should only have "device classes" (camera/music player/video
player/phone).

Martin