frequency requests in upower

Mike Turquette mturquette at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 12:57:33 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Marti Raudsepp <marti at juffo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Mike Turquette <mturquette at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]  Since DSP speed is tied to ARM speed
>> through the operating points I was hoping to use upower to place a
>> minimum frequency requirement.  cpufreq governors like ondemand will
>> not do this since it knows nothing of the DSP's needs.
>
>> There are lots of ways to solve this:
>> - use a nice piece of plumbing to place a frequency constraint on the CPU
>
> As far as I can tell this already exists. You can use the ondemand
> governor and simply specify the minimum ARM frequency in
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

Should this interface really be used directly by applications?  What
if two applications want to touch this interface?  "He who writes last
wins."

> Not sure why UPower should be involved?

I want something to _manage_ these needs, and the interface above
could potentially be used by such a manager, but to have apps mess
with it is pure chaos.

Regards,
Mike