frequency requests in upower

Marti Raudsepp marti at juffo.org
Fri Apr 9 13:55:53 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Mike Turquette <mturquette at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should this interface really be used directly by applications?  What
> if two applications want to touch this interface?  "He who writes last
> wins."

It sounds to me that what you're doing is a one-off hack anyway. As
Ben explained, a normal application would never need to touch this.

And can you even run multiple programs in parallel on your DSP? If
yes, you will have something on your ARM core to talk to the DSP's
task scheduler anyway? Sounds like a reasonably good place for this
frequency management code.

It's also a bad idea because it gets complicated on SMP machines, as
UPower wouldn't know which processor the application runs on, nor when
the scheduler migrates it. With some more hackery it could, but first
you need some use cases that cannot be solved more easily in some
other place.

Regards,
Marti