Unable to open dvd drive

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 11:51:21 PDT 2010

2010/6/30 Neil Leathers <neil.leathers at rogers.com>:
> I am unable to open either of my dvd drives when devkit-disks-daemon is running. One doesn't open at all and the other occasionally opens but gets pulled closed immediately. Running `ps ax` I see "devkit-disks-daemon: polling /dev/hdc /dev/hdd". If I kill that process I am able to open the dvd drives and use them without problem. Please let me know what you need to debug this.
>
> devicekit-disks: version 009
> kernel: version 2.6.32
> hardware: x86, 64 bit
> distro: gentoo

You should recompile your kernel using libata, or apply the patch [1]
we ship in Debian to add ide-cd support.
The patch is against udisks though, and I suggest you upgrade from
devicekit-disks to udisks, too.

[1] http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/udisks/1.0.1+git20100614-1/10-ide-cd-support.patch

universe are pointed away from Earth?