Need help transitioning from HAL -> udev/udisk/ueverythingelse

Alex Launi alex.launi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 22:53:09 PST 2010

Hello hardware hackers who make life on Linux possible,

I'm working on updating Banshee Media Player to the modern age. Currently
Banshee is heavily dependent on HAL which makes it not so usable on more
modern distributions which have all but excised HAL. HAL may have been a
monolith, but it was very easy to get lots of information about hardware
from it. I'm trying to update Banshee to use udev/udisks for device support,
but I'm having lots of problems figuring out how to get the info we used to
get from HAL from udev. HAL had a bunch of media player information, like
playable formats, supported album art size, etc. How does one get this
information from udev? Did all of the old HAL fdi information just get
thrown away, or is it possibly shoved into some corner of udev I just
haven't shown my flashlight into yet. I'd appreciate any help I can get on
tackling this problem. If I haven't explained what I'm trying to do well
enough, please ask me to clarify anything.

Here are some of the relevant HAL properties we used to use, I'm not sure if
theyre important but maybe someone has already done this sort of thing and
this will remind them:

portable_audio_player.cover_art_size
portable_audio_player.audio_folders
portable_audio_player.cover_art_file_name
portable_audio_player.output_formats
and tons more...

Thanks for your help!

--