Keyboard Backlight Support

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Sep 30 04:07:30 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 20:30 +0930, Alex Murray wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently sent an email to the g-p-m list inquiring about keyboard
> backlight support in g-p-m / UPower / udev - I know this used to be
> supported but in the deprecation of HAL it seems to have gotten
> lost...
>
> So was wondering what would be the best way to go about reimplementing
> support for handling keyboard backlights with the new UPower + udev
> stack?
>
> Now-a-days (under Linux) the couple keyboard backlights which I've
> come across seem to use the kernel's leds interface and so appear as
> /sys/class/leds/????::kbd_backlight/ - (the applesmc driver for
> MacBook's and the Asus laptop platform driver both use such an
> interface) so could this provide an easy way to provide support for
> both such platforms?
>
> Any pointers as to what functionality should go where and how best to
> go about doing it would definitely be appreciated as I'm keen to try
> and get this working again, although I have little experience with
> udev / UPower so any pointers as to how to develop the best overall
> solution would be great.

I already mailed the list with the same question some time ago. See:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.devicekit.devel/468

You'd need to create a separate daemon for that, though you could
probably get the code in upower's repo, and have the front-end service
in gnome-power-manager, if Richard doesn't mind.

Cheers