urfkill 0.1.0 release

Gary Ching-Pang Lin glin at novell.com
Fri Feb 25 02:37:02 PST 2011

Hi all,

I am pleased to release urfkill 0.1.0 and it's available in:
https://github.com/downloads/lcp/urfkill/urfkill-0.1.0.tar.bz2

urfkill implements a daemon, urfkilld, to monitor and control
the radio killswitches of WLAN/BLUETOOTH/WWAN/UWB/WIMAX.
It also provides DBus methods to monitor and control the killswitches,
so the userspace applications can interact with them without
getting root privilege.

Since the kernel rfkill input handler is going to be deprecated,
urfkilld catches the rfkill keys and does a flip-flop state update
for the killswitches (the same behavior as rfkill-input). In the
future, we are planning to extend the key policy and make it
more flexible and the further customization possible.

I've tested urfkill in 5 laptops [1], and it works fine except one [2]
that needs an extra configuration.

Although it is still far from perfect, I think it's usable now. Any
suggestion or bug report are welcome and appreciated :-)

Thanks,

Gary Lin

[1] Acer aspire one, MSI U160, eeepc (unknown model),
Acer Travelmate 372, Lenovo X200

[2] I ran into a funky situation while testing urfkilld in X200.
The bluetooth killswitch (hci0) sometimes was soft-blocked
when I unblocked the killswitch (tpacpi_bluetooth_sw) provided
by thinkpad-acpi. It can be worked around by set force_sync
to true in /etc/urfkill.conf, but I still wonder what is the root
cause.