UPower signals

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 03:43:59 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:48 AM, Peter Weilbacher
<newsspam at weilbacher.org> wrote:
> On 2012-11-30 09:45, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to detect suspend / hibernation cycles using UPower. But
>> I don't see any of the signals documented on
>> <http://upower.freedesktop.org/docs/UPower.html>. I tried a test
>> program written by myself but also dbus-monitor and upower -m without
>> success. In the archives I found a message from July 18th about the
>> same issue (title: Why are UPower "Sleeping" and "Resuming" signals
>> not generated?), which unfortunately didn't receive any replies... Is
>> there a different method to access these properties that I should
>> prefer over UPower?
>

> Is this not the correct list to get help about UPower? Any hints where
> else I should send help requests?

Hey Peter,

Richard is on vacation currently. As for your question, the basic
problem is that the kernel doesn't have any way to signal
suspend/resume to observers. Until that is fixed, userspace signals
such as the upower ones (or the pm-utils ones, or the systemd
ones,...) can only be hacks that don't work 100% reliably :-(