UPower signals

Peter Weilbacher newsspam at weilbacher.org
Tue Dec 4 10:47:20 PST 2012

Hi Matthias,

thanks for the reply!

On 2012-12-04 12:43, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Richard is on vacation currently. As for your question, the basic
> problem is that the kernel doesn't have any way to signal
> suspend/resume to observers. Until that is fixed, userspace signals
> such as the upower ones (or the pm-utils ones, or the systemd
> ones,...) can only be hacks that don't work 100% reliably :-(

Something that works 90% would be much better than something that
never works... But I don't fully understand what determines, if it
works or not. I am pretty sure that in the past I could use
dbus-monitor on my laptop to detect suspend/resume cycles.

In the meantime I definitely updated the kernel (currently have 3.5.7),
and probably also several low-level user-space tools. But I have no
idea
what was the factor that made the UPower signals disappear.

Cheers,
    Peter.