DevicePresentationHide udisks::device property

Ayan George ayan.george at canonical.com
Fri Jun 22 07:34:29 PDT 2012

On 06/22/2012 09:52 AM, Lisa Vitolo wrote:

> I'm writing a partitioning library based on udisks and I have a
> doubt: what's the actual meaning of the DevicePresentationHide
> property for devices? The documentation says such a device should
> be ignored by applications, but for what reasons the application
> should wish to hide it from the user?

The device shouldn't be 'ignored by users' but it is a hint or
suggestion that the device not be displayed by user interfaces:

http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/DeviceKit-disks/Device.html#Device:device-presentation-hide

I think the intent is to prevent filesystems that are mounted at
boot-time like root from showing up in desktop user interfaces and you
can probably be ignored if necessary.

-ayan