About S.M.A.R.T in udisks2 ...

Anant Kamath kamathanant at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:27:13 PDT 2012

Hi,
I'm looking to work on a SMART monitoring application for KDE this summer
as a part of Google Summer of Code, and I plant to implement with udisks2
as the backend..

However, I had a few questions regarding the UDisks2.Drive.ATA interface, I
would appreciate it if someone could help me out with 'em :
1)There seems to be no method to enable/disable SMART (just a property
showing if it is enabled) .. Is enabling being done automatically as part
of some other method .. or is it just not implemented yet ?

2)Offline testing : smartctl seems to have a method to enable auto-offline
testing on supported disks.. I didn't find anything regarding auto offline
smart tests in udisks2 , or for that matter even running offline tests
manually. AFAIK offlline tests are necessary to update certain SMART
attributes ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of these queries / assumptions..

Regards,
Anant Kamath