udisksctl unlock parameter for keyfiles

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 11 20:46:06 PDT 2012

Hello Sebastian,

Sebastian Fischmeister [2012-09-11 15:17 -0400]:
> Cryptsetup requires root access and I don't want that for my backup
> mechanism. Also I don't want to call sudo in a cron job.

Sounds like you should give the backup user the
org.freedesktop.udisks2.encrypted-unlock privilege for
"allow_inactive" (as it won't be in an active session). See
man pklocalauthority.

However, the worrying part here is that in order to do this
noninteractively, you need to store the cleartext passphrase at a
place where the cron job can read it. What's the point of encrypting
your disks when the password is on a (proverbial) sticker right next
to it?

Martin