2 users simultaneous access to udisks2 mounted drive

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 16:08:41 PST 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:07:11 +0200
Ivan Lezhnjov Jr. wrote:

> Whatever it is, why does it think I need or want to limit access to the mounted device to just one specific user? Especially when you look around and realize that standard behavior has been to make the mount accessible by anyone and govern access to its contents by ownership and permissions information set on files and directories.

Sorry I was using sarcasm so you may not have noticed that I was
agreeing. If you look at the script I gave you and the other more
complete options (such as spacefm or udevil allowing mount via sudo) it
shows you how to bypass udisks and assign whatever umasks and
permissions you like or any other mount option in existence easily. And
yes you shouldn't have to hack it like this. I am no affiliate of any
*kits and actually disable them on systems I care about and so
certainly am not replying in any devkit official capacity.

> It takes control away from a user.
>
> I'd be fine with something like that coming from Apple or Microsoft, they're notorious for doing such things and they're evil. But in Free Software world? Not acceptable.

It does but unfortunately some projects especially a few
utilising freedesktop.org and it's commentless pages have become less
community centric, irresponsible and even have company agendas as their
priority. Udisks is clearly one of the latter. This closed development
cycle is exactly why this has happened. It's funny, lots of companies
closed dev cycles can still be considerate and serve users well at all
times and even listen but not here it seems.

Disgusting really considering what UNIX is supposed to be all about
since the universities wrestled it from a company in court.