udisks library use with a replacement daemon: library-only knob?

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Fri Sep 6 01:23:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 01:07 +0000, Pau Amma wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm considering using just the library from udisks with a replacement
> daemon, for use on FreeBSD systems. However, some of the dependencies
> stand in my way, like the blockdev library, which as far as I can
> tell is
> only needed for the daemon (so not really relevant to my purpose).
> Before
> I start removing everything concerning the daemon and its
> dependencies
> from the configure script, the makefiles, and all other needed
> places, I
> thought I'd ask: do you provide a library-only configuration and
> compilation knob I missed? If not, would you consider adding one
> (maybe
> with my help) to a future version?

Unfortunately, udisks is a bit upside-down in this regard. I'm sure
someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe libudisks is
actually a wrapper around the daemon (as crazy as that is/sounds).

If what you want is a library that can manage various kinds of local
storage you probably want libblockdev. It is what udisks uses to
interact with the various types of storage.

HTH,
David