reminder: review of maintainer-tools patches is mandatory

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Jan 14 14:51:38 UTC 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 12:15, Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:21 PM Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think as a project maintainer-tools is now so detached and independent
> > > from the kernel git flows that we can move to support merge requests
> > > here if you like. All in, or support both patches and merge requests?
>
> If we go MR I'd say MR-only, since that'll stop me from failing to run
> make check, which I'm way too guilty of :-/
>
> > Takes about 5 minutes to set Marge up and we can enforce it so only
> > Marge can push as well. Let me know if you want that done.
>
> Afaiui maintainers/owners can still force push and everything, and
> Marge is just for developers? Does marge then check for whether you
> have commit rights or not?

There are a few ways to skin that cat. We can mark the branches as
protected so indeed maintainers/owners could force push. We could
install a pre-update hook to reject pushes from Marge unless you
explicitly pass a Git option in the environment (like we have for
dim-protected repos). Or ... probably something else.

Cheers,
Daniel