sharing patches in a DVCS [was: Introduction round?]

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Sat Mar 8 01:26:16 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 11:55 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 10:34 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
>
> > Since it's hard to know who's here right now, maybe we can make some
> > introduction round?
>
> I'm Federico Mena-Quintero, co-founder of GNOME, openSUSE Board member,
> generic old fart :)
>
> I work on the openSUSE-GNOME team, though I frequently do coordination
> between projects related to whatever I'm doing at the moment.
>
> My main interest in this forum is to end, once and for all, the "black
> market of distro patches":
>
>    http://www.gnome.org/~federico/news-2005-07.html#21
>
> I'm getting more and more convinced that the right way to do this is for
> distros to put their package-specific patches in a DSCM, and share those
> repositories:
>
>    http://www.gnome.org/~federico/news-2007-08.html#git-distro-workflow
>
> I'm writing a little proposal document on how this could be handled, so
> I'll notify this list when an interesting draft is available :)

Hi Fedorico,

I'm hugely interested in this aspect of the collaboration, and have read
your posts on the subject with interest.

I don't know if you know of the vcs-pkg project that is trying to
look in to this problem,

http://vcs-pkg.org/

There's not a huge amount going on there yet, but Martin wants to use
it as a forum to discuss these issues, so I don't know whether it is
more useful to do it there or here. Perhaps it is useful to get input
from those who are not specifically interested in the solution, but
more the results, which I assume includes a lot of people on this
list.

I am looking forward to your document on this.

Thanks,

James