Uniting to get upstreams to use system libraries

Ben Finney ben+freedesktop at benfinney.id.au
Thu Sep 18 21:12:01 PDT 2008

Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to know if other distributions also consider separating
> libraries from applications to be a best practice.

Debian has also long considered this to be best practice.

AFAICT it is absent from the Debian Best Packaging Practices guide
<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html>,
but that's more a guide for Debian package maintainers, rather than
for upstream developers.

It is stated on the Debian wiki "Software Packaging" page
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/SoftwarePackaging#head-f317098e457eb68a233c87d622f8cf0052c28858>
which is a page targeted to upstream developers, asking them to "be
Friendly to Your Packagers".

> If so, would you be willing to collaborate on getting upstreams to
> see our point of view?
[…]

I think this is an excellent idea (though I can't speak for Debian
Developers). Education in matters of common practice requires clear,
consistent messages from various parties, which implies coordination
would be helpful.

--
 \          Eccles: “I'll get [the job] too, you'll see. I'm wearing a |
  `\        Cambridge tie.”  Greenslade: “What were you doing there?”  |