Uniting to get upstreams to use system libraries

Santiago M. Mola cooldwind at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 01:13:18 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the basic guidelines we have in Fedora is that a package should
> not link against a local copy of a library.  Instead libraries should be
> included in the system and applications should link against that.[1]_

We have the same policy on Gentoo too (I guess that most distros do).

> I'd like to know if other distributions also consider separating
> libraries from applications to be a best practice.  If so, would you be
> willing to collaborate on getting upstreams to see our point of view?

If a package needs changes to link against a system library, we
usually patch it and send the patch upstream along with an explanation
of the problem. I think that should continue being the main method to
raise upstream awareness.

However, if anyone has good ideas about extra things we can do
together, that's welcome.

Regards,
--
Santiago M. Mola