Handling of the e1000e bug

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 26 02:55:28 PDT 2008

Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 16:29 Thu 25 Sep     , Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 16:12 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>>> We added a warning to our git-sources kernel package (and soon
>>> vanilla-sources), which people have to explicitly install 'testing'
>>> versions of to use RC kernels:
>>>
>>> "If your system utilizes the e1000e driver DO NOT install and run any
>>> 2.6.27 kernel.  See bug #238489 for more information"
>> The problem with such wide statements as this is that users of other
>> distros will see the warning, and not trust the kernels offered, even
>> though Fedora is flat disabling the module in our kernel offerings.
>>
>> Not sure how best to state that other than adding a "from the gentoo
>> project" or make it "DO NOT use any e1000e module from 2.6.27 kernels".
>
> You probably wouldn't want 2.6.27 from anywhere else either if you have
> some strange desire for wired Internet access. Is that old-school these
> days?

As Jesse pointed out, a Fedora 2.6.27 (or a Mandriva one!) is perfectly
safe as we've both disabled this module.

He was more pointing out that your phrasing could do with a little
tweaking to make it either a) Apply specifically to gentoo or (IMO
better) b) Mention the module on the 2.6.27 kernel, so that the
Fedora/Mandriva/Whoever else disabled it 2.6.27 kernel does not apply to
the recommendation.

It's nothing super major, but the wording could be slightly better
(although I suspect that the in the context of the reader, this extra
information is most likely implied).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie