Handling of the e1000e bug

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Fri Sep 26 14:42:26 PDT 2008

On 10:55 Fri 26 Sep     , Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> >> The problem with such wide statements as this is that users of other
> >> distros will see the warning, and not trust the kernels offered, even
> >> though Fedora is flat disabling the module in our kernel offerings.
> >>
> >> Not sure how best to state that other than adding a "from the gentoo
> >> project" or make it "DO NOT use any e1000e module from 2.6.27 kernels".
> >
> > You probably wouldn't want 2.6.27 from anywhere else either if you have
> > some strange desire for wired Internet access. Is that old-school these
> > days?
>
> As Jesse pointed out, a Fedora 2.6.27 (or a Mandriva one!) is perfectly
> safe as we've both disabled this module.
>
> He was more pointing out that your phrasing could do with a little
> tweaking to make it either a) Apply specifically to gentoo or (IMO
> better) b) Mention the module on the 2.6.27 kernel, so that the
> Fedora/Mandriva/Whoever else disabled it 2.6.27 kernel does not apply to
> the recommendation.

The warning does mention that module. That's the first half of it -- "If
your system utilizes the e1000e driver." What am I missing here? You
can't use the driver without the driver loaded.

> It's nothing super major, but the wording could be slightly better
> (although I suspect that the in the context of the reader, this extra
> information is most likely implied).

Right, and my point is that it's safe _and useless_ for anyone using the
e1000e driver. Recommending against 2.6.27 for everyone using e1000e
still makes perfect sense to me.

--
Thanks,
Donnie