[loki at fosdem.org: FOSDEM 2010: Distribution Miniconf]

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Nov 2 00:17:07 PST 2009

On 02/11/09 at 07:56 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

> >> Given the above, and given that this would involve one "shared" devroom
> >> *plus* a single devroom for each and every distribution, I can't agree
> >> that this is "a more reasonable proposal".
> >
> > How about this: Two devrooms.
> >
> > One devroom is shared by three of the four major distribution flavours
> > (that is, centos/fedora, debian[0], opensuse and gentoo) in the
> > following fashion: one track Saturday afternoon, one track Sunday
> > morning (ouch), last track Sunday evening.
>
> Why not Mandriva ? Or Ubuntu ? Or Exherbo ?
> That pretty much goes back to the situation we want to fix in the first
> place.

At some point, you will have to draw a line between very popular distros
that are are able to fill a devroom and still have people waiting on the
outside (like it was the case for the Debian devroom last year), and
distros that I need to google for to know what they do.

How do you plan to deal with the huge attendance expected in the
cross-distro devroom, given that Debian's devroom was already too small
last year? Do you have numbers about attendance in the distro devrooms
last year?

With my Debian hat on, I think that it would be valuable to share a
devroom between Debian, Ubuntu, Maemo and other Debian-based distros.
But there's probably not that much to gain with sharing a devroom with
Centos, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Gentoo.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |