Fixing package descriptions

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 09:11:54 PST 2010

On 11/9/10 8:12 AM, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the Ubuntu Developer Summit I was made aware of efforts to make
> package descriptions suck less for users. Here's what we have so far:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter/PackageDescriptions
>
> I was made aware that openSUSE and Debian were also interested in
> improving these descriptions, so I thought I'd start a thread on what
> efforts each distribution has made in this area and if there's any
> places where we could share work on this as there's plenty of overlap
> here. Thanks!

(not sure if reply-all was appropriate here, but oh well)

Fedora doesn't have any active initiative that I'm aware of in this
space, however I think we would be happy to help out and to attempt to
share and use the same descriptions that other distributions are using.

We do have some minimal guidelines about what can be used in a Summary
and Description:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Summary_and_description

--
Jesse Keating