introduce pkg-config files

Pavol Rusnak prusnak at opensuse.org
Mon Oct 25 02:19:19 PDT 2010

Hi all!

A few days ago I spoke with various folks at the openSUSE Conference and
we came to the conclusion that it would be great if all packages where
it makes sense (mainly libraries) started to use pkg-config files. If
they were in-place we would be able to create cross-distro packages with
ease and even to easily detect build requirements and autogenerate
packages as well.

I would like to ask all distributions to help upstream guys to include
pkg-config files to their releases. What do you think about the idea?

For more background you can go to
http://stick.gk2.sk/blog/2010/10/why-is-pkg-config-the-best-thing-since-sliced-bread/

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team                            Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144                                         19000 Praha 9
prusnak[at]opensuse.org                               Czech Republic