Matching package names across distributions

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Wed Feb 2 06:40:31 PST 2011

On 13:48 Wed 02 Feb     , Enrico Zini wrote:
> now that I'm back from vacations and we are all in this list, it's
> time to announce that we have an initial prototype for a distribution
> matching tool: http://www.enricozini.org/2011/debian/distromatch/
>
> You can follow that link for technical details, git URLs and examples.
> Please feel free to quote bits here if you'd like to discuss them.
>
> It's hard to measure the quality of the result because we don't have
> an optimal match to benchmark against. My idea for "evaluating" it is
> to just start using it for something, notice if there are gaps and see
> how to fill them.

By the way, this has been implemented previously. =) Perhaps you can at
least use some ideas from it, or pull in the data.

There's a somewhat famous quote that we use in research, which goes
something like this: "Six months of work in the lab will save you an
hour in the library."

http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=packagemap.git;a=summary
http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=373

--