Matching package names across distributions

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Feb 2 08:28:50 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 08:40:31AM -0600, Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> There's a somewhat famous quote that we use in research, which goes
> something like this: "Six months of work in the lab will save you an
> hour in the library."
>
> http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=packagemap.git;a=summary
> http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=373

Thank you. It was indeed already in the radar:
http://www.enricozini.org/2011/debian/distromatch/
(see at the end of the post)

There is also "whoas":
  http://www.philippwesche.org/200811/whohas/intro.html
and an "Equivalent Packages" dataset:

In other words, we've already passed by the library :P

distromatch is designed to use many different methods/heuristics,
so that they complement or cross-check each other. Rather than a new
wheel, it's intended to be a frame to attach wheels to.

At the moment my main interest is in deploying the frame with its
current set of improvised wheels, so that at least we start moving.
If the ride is too bumpy, we'll look into using more or better wheels.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>