Users ratings for package recommendation

Tássia Camões tassia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 06:54:27 PST 2011

Hello all,

I'm following the posts after the Cross-distro Meeting but I didn't
notice any comment about how users comments and ratings will be
implemented. Is it too early to think about that? I see it was
considered in the architecture [1].

I've been studying different recommendations techniques, initially
planning to develop a Debian package recommender that could be
attached to a package management system. However with the recent
cross-distro effort, I'd be happy to work on a platform independent
solution, so that it could be attached to appInstaller. Matching
packages names across distros would be the first pre-requisite for
that and it seems we already have an initial solution for it.

On the Debian side, I'm planning to use mainly apt-xapian-index,
debtags, popcon and UDD as data sources. At least some of these could
be extended to other distros, as Enrico presented at his recent posts
[2] [3].

At this point, the available information for collaborative techniques
is the list of packages users have installed on their systems [4], so
I'll work with that. But if the plan is to have a server to collect
user ratings, it should be considered to produce better
recommendations.

I've drafted a wiki page with some ideas about the recommendation strategies:
https://github.com/tassia/AppRecommender/wiki

Is there anyone interested in talking about this topics?

Best regards,

Tassia.

[1] http://distributions.freedesktop.org/wiki/AppStream/Implementation
[2] http://distributions.freedesktop.org/wiki/AppStream/XapianIndexHOWTO