Users ratings for package recommendation

Tássia Camões tassia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:04:58 PST 2011

2011/2/10 Michael Vogt <mvo at ubuntu.com>:

> The plan we came up during the meeting was to use OCS for the
> ratings&reviews. Independently of this, there is a "rnr-server"
> implementation for ubuntu available (and used by software-center). It
> should be pretty simple to add the needed code to s-c to talk to OCS
> (and I would really like to see the rnr-server provide a OCS
> compatible API for this).

I could try to help with that, it would be an opportunity for be to
get to know software-center source-code. I'll take a look at it in the
next few days.

What about the server side? Is the OCS server ready to receive this data?

> Another interessting datasource is probably zeitgeist as it will keep
> track of e.g. what files the user has worked with (you may want to
> look at the sofware-center code to see how its used there). I think
> ratings&reviews are more interessting than popcon. Popcon favours
> default installed apps and also there is a certain self selection
> (will only show data for people who enable it who are most likely
> technical). One hope is that ratings&reviews are less so (hard to say
> as we don't have that much experience with them yet).

Good! In fact, I didn't know about zeitgeist at all, thank you for the tip :)
Maybe we can get more acurate data with zeitgeist, but popcon also
keeps track of package usage through filesystem's ctime and atime. And
at the same time that zeitgeist provides more information about users
activities there would also be more privacy issues to be taken into
account if we choose to use it.

I agree with you that r&r will probably provide a rich data source for
recommendations. On the other hand, I also think that popcon is
useful, and the advantage is that the data is already there. We could
try to develop both approaches in parallel, since r&r still depends on
OCS server and user sending real data to the server.

> I'm definitely interessted. I would love to see a approach that takes
> the users mimetypes/apps (zeitgeist, popcon) and server ratings into
> account.

Great! Let's continuing continue this conversation.
Cheers,

Tassia.