Results of the App Installer Meeting

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 07:06:00 PST 2011

On 27 January 2011 15:00, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I think you're just asking for silly buggers in the markup and having to
> protect your gui apps from whatever fresh hell you'll run into there.

I don't think that's true. If something like markdown is used it's
pretty much impossible to inject an advert in an iframe, in the
description text. It's also pretty simple to shove in normal
unformatted text and get something sane and pretty on screen.

>> > Getting into various markup languages for it is going to cause pain
>> > later as you have to filter out cruft from the descriptions you're stuck
>> > with. And it will mean dealing with this data from cli will be annoying.
>>
>> I don't think the CLI user should be a focus of AppStream. I also
>> don't think reading a page of formatted text on the CLI is going to be
>> terribly useful either.
>
> We're up from a paragraph to a page? How much data is planned
> per-application?

Have a look at the ubuntu application center and you'll see what I
mean by page. A paragraph just isn't enough data to show to the user
when they want details about LibreOffice writer. Samuels' example
about warzone2100 is pretty much what I was thinking.

Richard.