Results of the App Installer Meeting

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Jan 27 08:24:24 PST 2011

Le jeudi 27 janvier 2011 17:14:17, seth vidal a écrit :
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 17:05 +0100, Samuel Verschelde wrote:
> > I would prefer to have this in some metadata file and query the OCS
> > server for more up to date description or new translations, for the
> > following reasons : - full text searching in descriptions (like
> > apt-xapian-index does currently for packages).
>
> We do full text searching in descriptions in yum now - but we're just
> using the sqlite searches.
>
> > - having only the name and a one-liner when offline is not great :)
>
> right but name+summary+eng-description+LANG-description when offline
> seems like good coverage for searches.

That's what I'm saying. If we deport eng-description and LANG-description to
an OCS server without anything in metadata downloaded from mirrors, then we
wont have this :)

> > But I'm open to other solutions too, especially if they make contributing
> > translations easier.
>
> How well can the xapian indexes be appended to w/o remaking the whole
> kit and kaboodle? I'm mostly wondering if the indexes and/or metadata
> can be sensibly delta'd

I don't know, apparently on debian systems they update it without pain when
metadata are updated from the mirrors, I guess you can add or remove things
from the index (which is built locally from what I understood). Enrico Zini
from debian can probably answer better than me (or the xapian website:)) when
he's back from his trip.

Samuel