Reviving AppStream and current status

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Mar 20 03:54:27 PDT 2012

Hi!
I can give some feedback from Debian.
Unfortunately, we can't use the proposed XML-based format on Debian,
because this is an unusual format for Debian which our ftpmasters
don't like.
Because Debian generally lacks some metadata for packages (including
stuff I can use in my Listaller[1] trial, hehe), I created the
DEP11[2] proposal, together with Michael Vogt and Julian A. Klode. So
Debian will use a RFC822-style format to store AppStream data and a
bunch of other stuff. From this data, we will then generate the Xapian
database, which the new Software Center can use.
Theoretically, we could use the Ubuntu Software Center on Debian, but
maybe we could switch to the fork, if this provides benefits to
Debian. (The USC is - naturally - very Ubuntu-centric)
So please, don't depend on the XML stuff directly anywhere ;-)
Ubuntu will likely switch to DEP11 data, as they can benefit from it too.

All other Debian-related stuff can happen when DEP11 is implemented, I
don't know how fast I'll be with this. (less Python knowledge, much to
do for university, probably a GSoC project to finish)
I someone wants to help... :D
In general, there is progress on Debian's side, depending on the
freezes we might have something working at the end of this year :)

Kind regards,
    Matthias Klumpp

[1]: http://listaller.tenstral.net
[2]: http://wiki.debian.org/AppStreamDebianProposal