libeio vs. Eio - rename one of them in all distributions?

Jan Kaluža jkaluza at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 03:28:00 PDT 2014

Hi,

I wanted to improve Phusion Passenger package in Fedora and found out
that it requires (and currently bundles) libeio [1]. I wanted to
unbundle libeio [1], but found out it conflicts with Eio [2] from
Englightenment world.

Both libraries provides libeio library and therefore conflicts with each
other. I've contacted both upstreams ([3], [4]) and discussed the
possible renaming of one library, but unfortunately they are not
interested in renaming.

In this case, Fedora Packaging Guidelines suggest writing to this list
to cooperate on possible future renaming of one of these libraries to
overcome conflict.

I have found out that there is RFE for libeio package in Debian [5]
(although quite old). But I think distributions (and maintainers)
currently providing Phusion Passenger could be interested in unbundling
libeio [1] in their packages.

 From what I've found out it looks like libeio [1] is not included in
many distributions yet, so I think this is good candidate for renaming.
I was thinking about some names (like libev-eio), but I would like to
know more ideas from others, because I'm not good at choosing names :).

[1] http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/libeio.html
[2] https://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Eio
[3] http://sourceforge.net/p/enlightenment/mailman/message/32090859/
[4] http://lists.schmorp.de/pipermail/libev/2014q1/002347.html