libeio vs. Eio - rename one of them in all distributions?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Mar 27 11:55:21 PDT 2014

On 03/27/2014 05:28 AM, Jan Kaluža wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to improve Phusion Passenger package in Fedora and found out
> that it requires (and currently bundles) libeio [1]. I wanted to
> unbundle libeio [1], but found out it conflicts with Eio [2] from
> Englightenment world.
>
> Both libraries provides libeio library and therefore conflicts with each
> other. I've contacted both upstreams ([3], [4]) and discussed the
> possible renaming of one library, but unfortunately they are not
> interested in renaming.

As I suggested in the fedora downstream ticket... I'd urge strong
consideration of renaming *both* libraries.  Ask both upstreams their
preferences for renaming, but make it clear that not renaming is not an
option.

I'd assume (hope!) other distributions would favor this approach as
well.  I'd encourage other distros to followup here and in the upstream
references made by Jan, to help come to consensus on the best way forward.

-- Rex