Freescale Linux BSP review

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Dec 23 09:17:01 PST 2010

>  way to behave.   The best way to get companies to change their behaviour is to find them and support them.  Making threatening GPL noises in email does not help them in any way.

I would disagree based on years of history.

The best way to get a company to change behaviour is for a situation to
occur in which it is in their own hardcore capitalist self interest to
change.

In my experience open source usually mirrors standards in this. The
leading vendors refuse to take part, the smaller vendors see the
opportunity - often working together - and the bigger vendor eithers gets
its backside kicked or does a sharp turn in the right direction.

That's the story of email, of the web, and is occuring currently in
telephony and other areas.

It's also why folks like Dell deserve a lot more credit than they get for
the success of Linux.

If its not commercially sensible it doesn't matter what the licensing
says. They are corporations not charities, if it's not economically
viable for them to manage it all themselves including new driver
releases, legal risk, all their own review and keeping up with DRI then
they have to decide which way to go - some go the "hit and run" approach
('not got kernel X then sorry but not our problem'), some do the work to
support it release by release but don't go GPL (eg Nvidia), some open up,
others just walk away.

Alan