Freescale Linux BSP review

David Rusling david.rusling at linaro.org
Thu Dec 23 09:40:47 PST 2010

Alan,
	I still stand by my assertion that educating companies as to the realities and philosophies of open source is better than threatening them.   Your analogy of  open source as a standard, a practical de facto standard written in a programming language is a good one.    Forking code (by never upstreaming it) tends not to be sustainable (although some companies still try).    Proprietary code exists for all sorts of reasons, often a bogus belief in an intrinsic value.    Graphics, in particular, is a very litigious world and also, the biggest cause of proprietary code, surely some link?

	Back to the plot.   Linaro is trying to help here, both in reducing non-optimal code forking and in helping its members work better with the open source communities.   As I said in my earlier mail, this will take time.   That said, I've seen enormous shifts within the ARM partnership already this year and look forward to more next year.

	Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to one and all.
Dave

ps nice to see that you keep your old email address.    Are you still in Wales?