[RFC] drm platform multi-device support

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:30:17 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Rob Clark <rob at ti.com> wrote:
> From: Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com>
>
> Include the minor device id in the bus-id to give userspace a way to open
> the correct "cardN" when there are multiple device instances.
> ---
> It may seem a bit strange to have multiple platform device instances, but
> we have a use-case for this.  And this relatively simple patch does the
> trick.

I'm finding it hard to like this since I feel it might limit certain
thing in the future, by baking
this into the ABI.

We have plans for multiple device nodes per device, but they don't
involve abusing the bus id like this.

Surely you'd just have another platform device with another unique
name for this, I'd be more willing
to accept some sort of unique id stored in the platformdev or drm that
isn't the device node.

Dave.