OpenArena Anholt Demo

Simon McVittie smcv at debian.org
Fri Feb 11 03:12:01 PST 2011

Sedat Dilek wrote:
> after Debian/squeeze was released a newer (version of) openarena made
> its was from experimental to unstable.

If you're using OA as a benchmark, you should be aware that since 0.8.5-7,
Debian's OA packages no longer use OA upstream's fork of the ioquake3 engine
to run the openarena game code. We now use a more recent ioquake3 snapshot,
which has been modified for Debian so it can run both Quake III Arena and OA
from the same engine; see the ioquake3 Debian package. I'm in the process of
upstreaming as many of the changes as possible to ioquake3.

This might increase or reduce performance, so to compare "apples to apples"
please make sure any benchmark results that you're comparing are using the
same engine.