[RFC 0/5] Generic panel framework

Jingoo Han jg1.han at samsung.com
Thu Aug 16 18:33:46 PDT 2012

On Friday, August 17, 2012 9:50 AM Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> While working on DT bindings for the Renesas Mobile SoC display controller
> (a.k.a. LCDC) I quickly realized that display panel implementation based on
> board code callbacks would need to be replaced by a driver-based panel
> framework.
>
> Several driver-based panel support solution already exist in the kernel.
>
> - The LCD device class is implemented in drivers/video/backlight/lcd.c and
>   exposes a kernel API in include/linux/lcd.h. That API is tied to the FBDEV
>   API for historical reason, uses board code callback for reset and power
>   management, and doesn't include support for standard features available in
>   today's "smart panels".
>
> - OMAP2+ based systems use custom panel drivers available in
>   drivers/video/omap2/displays. Those drivers are based on OMAP DSS (display
>   controller) specific APIs.
>
> - Similarly, Exynos based systems use custom panel drivers available in
>   drivers/video/exynos. Only a single driver (s6e8ax0) is currently available.
>   That driver is based on Exynos display controller specific APIs and on the
>   LCD device class API.

Hi Laurent,

I am a Exynos DP maintainer and Samsung FB maintainer.

Actually, eDP (embedded display port) will be faced with this kind of problem.
According to the eDP standard, eDP panel can have their own specific registers
that handle extra operations. In this case, custom panel driver for this eDP panel
will be necessary.

In my opinion, the panel framework would be helpful to solve this problem.

Best regards,
Jingoo Han