i915 freakout with latest 3.7 git

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Dec 4 04:58:23 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 01:35:22PM +0100, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 04.12.2012, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>
> > Yeah, if anyone can somewhat reliably reproduce this
>
> Ok, I see. So the beginning would be to reliably reproduce the the
> hang. I have encountered it in any possbile situasjon, both when
> watching videos on Youtube and right after booting the machine and
> doing absolutely nothing.
>
> I'll try around a little bit and see if I can find something that
> triggers this hang.
>
> Btw: which kernel is known to be the "last good one"?

If it's the ilk one we only know that 3.6.x series seems to be solid, and
something in 3.7-rc (probably before -rc1) broke stuff. So not too useful.

> > (you need to disable rc6 on ilk to not hit another issue which seems much easier to
> > hit)
>
> Ilk? If this stands for "Ironlake": I'm on Sandybridge.

Hm, then it could very well be something different, so I think we need to
track this one as a separate bug. Can you please file a new one on
bugs.freedesktop.org against DRI -> DRM (Intel) and attach dmesg when
booting with drm.debug=0xe (just so we know what's in your box) plus the
i915_error_state from debugfs once the gpu is hung (if you can get at that
file, reboot kills it).

Thanks, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter