linux-3.3-rc2 and radeon kms failure on ppc32 with Radeon X1650PRO pcie

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Feb 14 23:39:38 PST 2012

On Mit, 2012-02-15 at 13:50 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 03:23 +0100, acrux wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:00:43 +0100
> > Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

> > > That's too broad a statement, it works fine on other PowerPC machines
> > > (PowerMacs, some embedded boards).
> > >

> > hi Michel,
> > thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it.
> >
> > If you say they were tested on real Power Architecture boards with PCIE
> > videocards thus it is reassuring... and i'm happy that you understand
> > my previus assertion wasn't affected by malevolence or sarcasm. Indeed
> > i'm also a bit troubled 'n frustrated thinking that next release of
> > mesa 'll do extend use of llvm (that doesn't work properly on linuxppc
> > and totally untested on linuxppc64)

I don't see any reason to worry yet. LLVM is still completely optional
in Mesa 8.0, and if you're worrying about the upcoming use of LLVM in
the drivers for newer Radeons, I don't think the current problems in the
LLVM usage of llvmpipe/draw on PPC will necessarily translate to that,
as I suspect at least some of the issues are specific to the LLVM PPC
backend, which won't be used in that case.

> > Btw, to sum up the list of Power Architecture machines with PCIE  that
> > aim to be a desktop/workstation: Apple iMac G5 (iSight), Apple PowerMac
> > Quad G5, YDL Powerstation 2x970MP and Acube Sam460ex . And the last
> > two, on present evidence (my attempts), aren't able to boot up if
> > bootkernel has kms enabled.
>
> Which radeon card, kernel log please ?

See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/018792.html (start of this thread) and http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/018791.html .