linux-3.3-rc2 and radeon kms failure on ppc32 with Radeon X1650PRO pcie

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Feb 15 12:28:10 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 08:39 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Btw, to sum up the list of Power Architecture machines with PCIE  that
> > > aim to be a desktop/workstation: Apple iMac G5 (iSight), Apple PowerMac
> > > Quad G5, YDL Powerstation 2x970MP and Acube Sam460ex . And the last
> > > two, on present evidence (my attempts), aren't able to boot up if
> > > bootkernel has kms enabled.
> >
> > Which radeon card, kernel log please ?
>
> See
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/018792.html (start of this thread) and http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/018791.html .

Ok, so for the 460EX, I am not surprised things aren't working with KMS
& DRI2... the 460 is not cache coherent, and this is not handled by TTM
as far as I can tell.

The second case with no firmware is a bit more surprising, looks like
something bad happened on the PCI express bus or the kernel tried to
access something that the card rejected (target abort or PCIe equivalent
most likely), thus triggering a PLB error . That could be investigated a
bit more.

Note that you say this is smoe kind of "SAM460EX" card... but it claims
to be a Canyonlands in the device-tree... is that expected or do we have
yet another case of a vendor claiming to be the eval board they based
their design upon and generally screwing up in a major way ? IE. does it
indeed work with an -identical- device-tree to a canyonland and no
patches added to the machine support at all ?

Cheers,
Ben.