linux-3.3-rc2 and radeon kms failure on ppc32 with Radeon X1650PRO pcie

acrux acrux_it at libero.it
Wed Feb 15 17:05:49 PST 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:28:10 +1100
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> > > Which radeon card, kernel log please ?
> >
> > See
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/018792.html
> > (start of this thread) and
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-February/018791.html .
>
> Ok, so for the 460EX, I am not surprised things aren't working with
> KMS & DRI2... the 460 is not cache coherent, and this is not handled
> by TTM as far as I can tell.
>
> The second case with no firmware is a bit more surprising, looks like
> something bad happened on the PCI express bus or the kernel tried to
> access something that the card rejected (target abort or PCIe
> equivalent most likely), thus triggering a PLB error . That could be
> investigated a bit more.
>
> Note that you say this is smoe kind of "SAM460EX" card... but it
> claims to be a Canyonlands in the device-tree... is that expected or
> do we have yet another case of a vendor claiming to be the eval board
> they based their design upon and generally screwing up in a major
> way ? IE. does it indeed work with an -identical- device-tree to a
> canyonland and no patches added to the machine support at all ?

Guys, thank you very much for your replies,

i know it's a very common (bad) scenario, thanks for your opinion i
already informed the vendor to suggest a _real_ linux kernel
porting and i'll do it again.

Anyway after nearly ten years, due a lack in resources, i'm sadly going
to suspend the CRUX PPC project and my activism pro free
software thus i'm unable to follow these debug. I'll hold on to me
the only YDL Powerstation then from the next weeks i'll can only follow
trying to help in debug [1] on this specific machine.

[1]http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-January/018575.html

all the best and again THANKS for all your work,
- --nico
- --
GNU/Linux on Power Architecture
CRUX PPC - http://cruxppc.org/