system_nrt_wq, system suspend, and the freezer

Tejun Heo tj at kernel.org
Thu Feb 16 08:29:51 PST 2012

Hello,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:27:28AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> These should  all be freezable and we might even be able to get away
> with WQ_UNBOUND for some of these.

In general, I would recommend specifying as few special attribute as
possible.  If WQ_UNBOUND is necessary (large amount of CPU cycles
consumed, extremely high concurrency), sure, but I think we're
generally better off using as default attributes as possible.  It just
makes things much easier later when we need to implement new features
or update the implementation.

> I think we put most of these in system_nrt_wq because Tejun put an
> earlier job into that queue when he converted it from slow_work and we
> just cargo-cult copied that...
>
> I'll spend some time looking at this in the next day or two, but I
> suspect that the right answer is to just move these off of the "public"
> workqueues altogether.

If freezing & nrt is everything necessary, just create
system_nrt_freezable_wq and use that.

Thanks.

--
tejun