DRI Support for Savage4

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 10:05:32 PST 2012

On 1/30/12 9:24 AM, Elvis L. wrote:
> Hello
>
> first of all, please excuse my possibly bad english. Im German.
>
> I wanted to install DRI-supported drivers for my Savage4 graphic-chip
> (Acer Aspire 1310XC Laptop). I found some in
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/ and read, that I have to
> "./install" the common package first, after that the savage package.
> I've took the newest ones.
> The common package was installed without any errors. But the
> savage-package says, that it only be can installed with 2.4 oder 2.6
> kernel. My System based on Fedora 16 (3.2.2.1). What do I have to do,
> that i can use DRI on this laptop? It's horribly damn slow on
> graphic-usage.

Not to break your heart, but I'm pretty sure that laptop's slow for
reasons besides DRI.

I do apologize for other reasons though.  It looks like a configuration
change that was meant to be in F17 [1] and later only got copied back to
F16's update branch.  Mea culpa.  That will be fixed in a future update,
at which point you'll probably have the renderer string in glxinfo
magically change from llvmpipe to savage, since F16 is meant to include
savage DRI support by default.

But I'd be a little surprised if enabling DRI on that chip had any
appreciable effect on performance.

[1] - In particular, the change that drops all the non-KMS DRM drivers.

- ajax