regression with dynpm [was: [git pull] drm-fixes]

Jörg-Volker Peetz jvpeetz at web.de
Tue Jun 19 07:09:51 PDT 2012

Dave Airlie wrote, on 06/17/12 09:42:

> Hi Linus,
>
> radeon is most of the work, one regression, one BUG fix in the new prime
> code, some fixes to init code to make streamout not lock up the hardware,
> and just some code to enable users to test HDMI audio on later hw (its off by
> default).
>
> Intel adds edp edid caching for some strange Dell Vostros that black
> screen on startup if keep reading their EDID, and a fix for a DP
> regression.
>
> Otherwise fix for via/sis and one to stop udl binding to multiple
> non-video usb.
>
> Dave.
>
> The following changes since commit 9b15b817f3d62409290fd56fe3cbb076a931bb0a:
>
>   swap: fix shmem swapping when more than 8 areas (2012-06-15 21:48:14 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux drm-fixes
>
> for you to fetch changes up to c4af5c4597a7a5d64e058703e1328f315a59794e:
>
>   Merge branch 'drm-intel-fixes' of git://people.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm-intel into drm-fixes (2012-06-16 14:45:17 +0100)

> Alex Deucher (3):
>       drm/radeon: fix regression in dynpm due to multi-ring rework
>       drm/radeon: add some additional 6xx/7xx/EG register init
>       drm/radeon: add support for STRMOUT_BASE_UPDATE on 7xx

Hello Dave,

on my HP Pavilion dv7 there is still with 3.5-rc3 a severe problem with the
dynpm option. After booting, the machine freezes (hard-lock) when trying to
switch to dynamic power mangement on the integrated GPU via

     echo -n dynpm > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method

at least two trace calls are done. On the console only the last two lines of one
call trace and the last one are visible (machine is frozen). Debugfs is not
mounted. Please find appended my kernel .config, on demand I can deliver further
information.
The system has two AMD-GPU (Mobility Radeon HD 4200, HD 5400) and vga_switcheroo
is built into the kernel.

--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.