-next trees

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:47:29 PDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 09:34 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> I'm sorry, I thought I was clearer.  Daniel posted a patch to fix the
> Intel driver for this:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2012-August/020046.html
>
> Which I didn't entirely ack, but which is essentially right.  That's
> what we should do; and having done so, if I understand things correctly,
> there's no need for any quirks here at all.
>
> Is there something I'm missing?

Yes.  The DISABLE_INFOFRAMES quirk will still be required by this
display.

(The reason that the Intel driver got dragged into this is because it is
sending audio InfoFrames to the display, even when
drm_detect_hdmi_monitor returns false.)

> I haven't actually seen the EDID block for this display, I don't
> believe, so I'm not sure whether the "non-existent" part of this is even
> accurate, or whether we're just parsing things incorrectly.  There's a
> reason I keep a standalone parser around.

EDID attached.

In the meantime, I would like to move the ball forward on this issue.
As I see it, there 3 issues that have become conflated:

1.  The display (LG L246WP) is confused by *any* InfoFrames.

2.  The Intel driver is sending audio InfoFrames when
     drm_detect_hdmi_monitor returns false and drm_detect_monitor_audio
     returns true.

3.  drm_detect_monitor_audio is returning true for the LG L246WP, which
     definitely doesn't have any audio capabilities.  This may be a bug
     in the display's EDID, or it may be a parsing error.

Would you be amenable to a patch series that addresses *only* issue
number 1?

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                         arequipeno at gmail.com
"If you're going to shift my paradigm ... at least buy me dinner first."