nouveau: temperature on nv40 is unavailable since ad40d73ef533ab0ad16b4a1ab2f7870c1f8ab954

Martin Peres martin.peres at labri.fr
Wed Aug 14 19:07:24 PDT 2013

On 14/08/2013 05:02, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 August 2013 15:55:28 Martin Peres wrote:
>> On 13/08/2013 09:53, Pali Rohár wrote:

>>> In nvidia-settings tab "GPU 0 - (GeForce 6600 GT)" -->
>>> "Thermal Settings" is:
>>>
>>> Thermal Sensor Information:
>>> ID: 0
>>> Target: GPU
>>> Provider: GPU Internal
>>> Temperature: 70 C (now)
>>>
>>> I looked in Windows program SpeedFan. It found Nvidia PCI
>>> card and reported "GPU Temp" about 68-70 C. So it looks
>>> like both nvidia driver and windows SpeedFan program
>>> reading same values.
>> Great, I'll cook you a patch in a bit and you'll see what the
>> temperature is like. It won't be perfectly accurate but there
>> is some kind of default for nvidia cards of this generation.
> Ok, send me patch and I can try it if it will work and report
> similar values as windows or nvidia driver.

Sorry for the late answer.

Please test this patch. Be aware that temperature with nouveau will be
higher than with the blob.
I only want to see if nouveau reports a temperature.

The only way to be sure if the values are good-enough would be to use
the blob and run:
nvapeek 0x15b0
Please send me the result along with the temperature reported by nvidia
at the time of the peek.

Martin

PS: This patch has only be compile-tested, I don't have access to an
nv4x right now.