nouveau: temperature on nv40 is unavailable since ad40d73ef533ab0ad16b4a1ab2f7870c1f8ab954

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 00:24:48 PDT 2013

On Thursday 15 August 2013 04:07:24 Martin Peres wrote:
> On 14/08/2013 05:02, Pali Rohár wrote:

> >> Great, I'll cook you a patch in a bit and you'll see what
> >> the temperature is like. It won't be perfectly accurate
> >> but there is some kind of default for nvidia cards of this
> >> generation.
> >
> > Ok, send me patch and I can try it if it will work and
> > report similar values as windows or nvidia driver.
>
> Sorry for the late answer.
>
> Please test this patch. Be aware that temperature with nouveau
> will be higher than with the blob.
> I only want to see if nouveau reports a temperature.
>
> The only way to be sure if the values are good-enough would be
> to use the blob and run:
> nvapeek 0x15b0
> Please send me the result along with the temperature reported
> by nvidia at the time of the peek.
>
> Martin
>
> PS: This patch has only be compile-tested, I don't have access
> to an nv4x right now.

Hello,

now after patch nouveau report temperature:

$ sensors
nouveau-pci-0500
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +63.0°C  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                       (crit = +145.0°C, hyst =  +2.0°C)
                       (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)

I found that nvidia binary driver has command line utility
nvidia-smi which report same temperature as X utility nvidia-
settings. So I will use nvidia-smi (if it is OK).

And after reboot nvidia report another temperature value:

$ nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE
GPU 0000:05:00.0
    Temperature
        Gpu                     : 70 C

Immediately I called nvapeek command:

$ nvapeek 0x15b0
000015b0: 1000008e

So value reported by nouveau is lower than value reported by
nvidia binary driver.

I wait some some and started nvidia-smi and nvapeek again, here
are results:

$ nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE
GPU 0000:05:00.0
    Temperature
        Gpu                     : 67 C

$ nvapeek 0x15b0
000015b0: 1000008e

So it looks like that nvapeek returning always same value and
does not depends on temperature... It is OK?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com