DPM on Radeon HD6570

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at pr.hu
Wed Aug 21 10:49:53 PDT 2013

Hi,

thanks for your response.

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zboszor at pr.hu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read this Phoronix article:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_hd6000_dpm&num=1
>>
>> Congrats to the progress achieved so far.
>>
>> However, I can see an interesting deviation for HD6570 from the
>> observed trend of other chips.
>>
>> r600g can reach 80+ percent of the performance of Catalyst
>> for most HD6xxx chips except for 6570, where the performance
>> is around 10-20 percent.
>>
>> Do you have a theory about this difference?
>> Maybe DPM doesn't work as intended on HD6570?
>>
> Are you seeing the same results on your board?  If so are the results
> roughly the same with dpm enabled vs. disabled?  If so I doubt there
> is a problem with dpm.  On older dGPUs like this one dpm won't really
> improve performance since the cards come up with relatively high
> clocks by default.  It's mainly for saving power when the GPU is idle.

I have enabled dpm:
$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.11.0-0.rc6.git0.1.fc20.x86_64
root=UUID=00df37a2-be3d-46fe-963a-ca08977fc5f6 ro quiet rhgb radeon.audio=1 radeon.dpm=1
LANG=hu_HU.UTF-8

I have just tried "openarena 0.8.5" again with forced "low" performance.
Results is 26.87fps with low performance, 59.40-59.70fps with forced high
performance.

>> I have this kind of video card, so I wanted to test it myself.
>> The exact model of my card is:
>> http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1087&pid=1176&psn=&lid=1&leg=0#
>>
> Note that a lot of 6570 cards, including yours use DD3 memory rather
> than GDDR5 so they will have fairly limited memory bandwidth.

I know. The 6570 tested by Phoronix must be GDDR5
but it's not mentioned specifically.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi