DPM on Radeon HD6570

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 08:39:28 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zboszor at pr.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read this Phoronix article:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_hd6000_dpm&num=1
>
> Congrats to the progress achieved so far.
>
> However, I can see an interesting deviation for HD6570 from the
> observed trend of other chips.
>
> r600g can reach 80+ percent of the performance of Catalyst
> for most HD6xxx chips except for 6570, where the performance
> is around 10-20 percent.
>
> Do you have a theory about this difference?
> Maybe DPM doesn't work as intended on HD6570?

Are you seeing the same results on your board?  If so are the results
roughly the same with dpm enabled vs. disabled?  If so I doubt there
is a problem with dpm.  On older dGPUs like this one dpm won't really
improve performance since the cards come up with relatively high
clocks by default.  It's mainly for saving power when the GPU is idle.

> I have this kind of video card, so I wanted to test it myself.
> The exact model of my card is:
> http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1087&pid=1176&psn=&lid=1&leg=0#

Note that a lot of 6570 cards, including yours use DD3 memory rather
than GDDR5 so they will have fairly limited memory bandwidth.

Alex