Can no longer shutdown after drm/radeon: Implement radeon_pci_shutdown

Peter Chubb peter.chubb at nicta.com.au
Wed Dec 11 16:04:00 PST 2013

>>>>> "Deucher," == Deucher, Alexander <Alexander.Deucher at amd.com> writes:

>> >>>>> "Markus" == Markus Trippelsdorf <markus at trippelsdorf.de>
>> writes:

Markus> On 2013.12.11 at 11:37 +1100, Peter Chubb wrote:

Markus> It would be interesting to know where exactly it hangs.  Could
Markus> you comment out the *_fini(rdev) calls in
Markus> radeon_driver_unload_kms
>> (drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_kms.c)
Markus> one after the other to find out which one is responsible?

>> It's radeon_device_fini() that is the problem.

Deucher,> I think the problem is that the drm subsystem tears down the
Deucher,> device via drm_driver.unload in drm_dev_unregister(), but
Deucher,> now that we have a pci_driver.shutdown callback (which is
Deucher,> needed for kexec) that gets called too so the driver gets
Deucher,> torn down twice.  What exactly happens when you say it's
Deucher,> broken?

The machine hangs, with blank screen, getting hotter and hotter with
the fan screaming.  Magic sysrq does nothing.  Power button sometimes
works and sometimes does nothing.  The only sure way out is to take the
battery out of the laptop.

--
Dr Peter Chubb				        peter.chubb AT nicta.com.au
http://www.ssrg.nicta.com.au          Software Systems Research Group/NICTA